Thursday, September 22, 2016

US Paras land

I was recently very generously given some 28mm Warlord Miniatures WWII figures by Swampy. The US Paras from the new "Band of Brothers" Starter Set along with an assembled set of the regular US infantry.

I've been beavering away getting them together. First impressions are they are beautifully made, great expressions on the faces, go together well but lack the extra bits of kit that would really give those extra options for kit bashing. There are a lot of Thompson SMG's in the kit.

I quite like firing figures and the kit is a bit short on Garands in that position so i cut out the carbine and added the M1 from the shouldered pose.

There is a base sprue in the kit but no larger bases so i've used an older flat GW 60mm base for the MG and crew and i'll probably build a second rather than trying to do more prone figures.
I've added a bazooka, bazooka rocket bag, grease gun, grenade hand and a Springfield scoped rifle from the remainders of the US kit (I'm not sure about the rifles issue but it will just count as a Garand if it's not needed).
The set of Warlord WWII American Infantry with lots of Springfield rifles. 

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Folding archery target butt

I do a bit of target archery and i've been fooling around with different low cost alternatives for targets. Cardboard is cheap but gets chewed up really quickly especially with high accuracy resulting in pass throughs. I had bought a target with two foam rubber faces and internal foam but it failed on the first arrow basically.

Then i came across this on Ebay from a Queeensland archer. Big enough to fit a three face target on. With freight it worked out similar price wise to a commercial foam target but hopefully will be more durable.

It's a bit irregular though so it needed a stand. I'd had a look on Google and Pinterest for stand plans and came across this on the Calcresult site.

Along with this pin on Pinterest which gives some angles and ratios for a competition stand.

Then it was a matter of heading out to the lab with some scrap from a deck we pulled up and voila. I managed to use what supplies i had in the shed without having to buy any more screws or bolts. I may run a piece of rope between front and back to stop in unfolding if the target falls off somehow.